1. A group of women in Kampala, Uganda who earn around $1.20/day breaking rocks into gravel sent $900 of their wages to help Hurricane Katrina victims
2. An orphan from Uganda, who spent his youth as a human scarecrow on his abusive uncle’s farm, ran away at 14. With the help of a charity called YES Uganda, he has since earned 2 degrees, started a biotech company, founded a non-profit, and given a talk at TED
3. Two maneless 9ft long man-eating Lions ate over 135 workers on the Kenya-Uganda railway in 1898
4. 50% of the population of Uganda is under the age of 15!
5. American Evangelicals help fund violent anti-gay movement in Uganda
6. The “ugliest man” in Uganda has had 8 children with 2 wives.
7. Ugandan dictator Idi Amin’s official title was “His Excellency, President for Life, Field Marshal Al Hadji Doctor Idi Amin Dada, VC, DSO, MC, Lord of All the Beasts of the Earth and Fishes of the Seas and Conqueror of the British Empire in Africa in General and Uganda in Particular.”
8. Google has started a beta in Kenya, Nigeria, Ghana, Thailand and Uganda called ‘Google trader’ where locals can contact sellers of anything, from chicken egg incubators to entire houses.
9. The ZIKA virus was discovered in the Zika forest of Uganda in 1947, but only became a world health concern in 2007
10. On the Ugandan territory, researchers discovered 2.5 billion barrels of oil in 2011