1. In 1986, at the height of apartheid, Glasgow, Scotland changed the name of the square where the South African consulate-general was based to Nelson Mandela Place, forcing the South African attaché to have to write this address if they wanted to receive mail
2. In 1962, the CIA tipped off South Africa’s intelligence service about the location of Nelson Mandela, leading to his arrest that put him in jail for 27 years
3. Nelson Mandela was long time friends with Moammar Gaddafi and Fidel Castro
4. In 1998, a South African commission chaired by Desmond Tutu concluded that Winnie Madikizela–Mandela, Nelson Mandela’s wife for 38 years, was directly responsible for the murder, torture, abduction and assault of numerous men, women and children.
5. Nelson Mandela wasn’t removed from the US terror watch list until 2008