1. In January 1997, the capitol of Ghana rioted over accusations of penis snatching wizards. Several people were killed by mobs who accused them of using magic handshakes to kidnap penises and hold them for ransom.
2. During his 1955 tour in Ghana, Louis Armstrong suddenly stopped playing, moved by the fact that one of the dancers resembled his mother, who had died 20 years before. He said: “I know it now. I came from here, way back. At least my people did. Now I know this is my country too.”
3. When Hollywood movie posters can’t be imported to Ghana, locals will try their hand at drawing them.
4. Last year, a Chinese company sold over 110 million counterfeit condoms to Ghana.
5. In Ghana it is desirable to be buried in a novelty coffin, with favorites including a huge Coke bottle, an oversized Nokia, and a giant catfish.
6. King Togbe Ngoryifia Bansah has ruled the GBI traditional area of the Ghana Volta region from his home in Germany since 1992, when he got the crown following his grandfather’s death (as his left-handed father was not a rightful heir). He rules by phone, fax, and e-mail.